Picked up a copy of the free Waitrose Food magazine when I was shopping on the weekend and found this recipe. It sounded really simple and healthy so thought it would be great to try one night in the week. Sorry for the lack of cooking photos on this one but they turned out a bit rubbish. The recipe tasted amazing though…so good in fact that I finished it off for lunch the next day!
The recipe serves 3-4
350g chicken mini breast fillets
4 tbsp. natural yoghurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 lemon, zest and juice
30g unsalted butter
1 onion, finely diced
200g basmati rice
1 tsp salt
330 ml fresh chicken stock
100g frozen peas
1-2 tbsp. roughly chopped coriander leaves
30g toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4. Mix the chicken in a bowl with the yoghurt, garlic, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp lemon juice. Season, coat well and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a wide ovenproof casserole dish. Saute the onion for 5 minutes, until soft, then stir in the rice, salt, lemon zest and 1 tsp lemon juice, plus the remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Add the stock and bring back to the boil, then cover and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Put the peas in a sieve and run under hot water briefly. When the rice is ready, fluff it up with a fork, stirring through the peas as you go. Put the lid back on and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Put the chicken on a foil-lined baking tray and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Slice into bite-sized pieces and stir through the rice.
- Serve with the coriander and a sprinkling of flaked almonds, plus extra lemon wedges and a dollop more yoghurt if liked.