With loads of leftover potatoes after making a spinach and paneer filo pie last week, I wanted to get them used up. I found a recipe online for a healthy and delicious sounding potato and lentil curry which took care of a few more. The original recipe suggests serving with cauliflower rice, we made some coconut cauliflower rice from this lovely Harissa Prawns recipe as we also had some leftover creamed coconut.
The recipe serves 4
500g floury potatoes, diced (King Edward or Maris Piper’s work well)
175g red split lentils
70g tinned chickpeas, drained
4tbsp curry powder
1 clove of garlic
1 thumb size piece of fresh ginger
1 onion, peeled
2 green chillies, seeds removed and sliced in half
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp ground turmeric
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 small bag of fresh spinach
1 bunch of fresh coriander
- Boil the potatoes for five minutes, then drain.
- In a food processer blend together the garlic, ginger, onion and chillies.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the blitzed mixture with the cumin, turmeric, season and cook for about 3 minutes on a gentle heat. Stir in the curry powder and cook for a further minute.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, water and lentils to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Simmer for approx. fifteen minutes until the water is thickens.
- Add the spinach and chickpeas and stir well. Garnish with chopped coriander.