This is the first time I’ve ever cooked anything with frozen spinach, but followed a recipe my boyfriend found online by fuss free cooking. You could use halloumi, chicken, prawns or add any meat you like to the dish but I like this meat free version mainly because I absolutely adore Paneer!
The recipe serves 2
500g frozen chopped spinach
1 packet of paneer (approx 200g), diced
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 onion, finely diced
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder (adjust to your taste)
1 packet microwave basmati rice (I’ve used Tilda white basmati)
Naan bread or poppadums (optional)
- Heat a non-stick stirfry pan with a little bit of oil and pan fry the paneer over medium heat until golden brown on all (most) sides. Set aside the Paneer on a plate.
- In the same pan, add 2 teaspoons of oil and the diced onion. Saute until the onions start to brown over medium heat.
- Turn the heat down, add spices, garlic and ginger paste. cook and stir occasionally until aromatic over low-medium heat.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well with the spices.
- Add approx 250-300ml (around half a pint) of hot water and allow the mixture to bubble, cover, until the oil is slightly separated on the surface . Add more water if the mixture is drying up.
- Add the frozen spinach and cook until it is fully thawed over a medium heat.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes before adding the paneer. (You may need to add more water if necessary, to achieve your desired consistency.
- Add the Paneer and stir gently to mix with the spinach. Add salt to taste.
- Cook rice according to packet instructions and serve with naan bread or poppadums if using.